Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's a comin'

Right now, I am (rather frantically) cleaning my house. Why? Two reasons:

1. I'm going away tomorrow (yay) and I love to come home to a sparkly clean house.
2. There's a hurricane a comin'.

Sure, giggle if you want to. I used to.

Way back in the day, when I young, and my heart was an open book...I digress, but yeah, and living with my mother, she would break out the clorox and palmolive (I dunno) and get down to it. I would tease her relentlessly, like, hey Mom, good ol' (hurricane name) comin' to town? Comin' for lunch? Comin' to have a spot of tea? She bore it the way she did any sh*t from Sissy and I - made us do the cleaning. (She also used to bathe us in Dettol, but that's a whole nother post)

Fast forward x years, I have an adult (koff koff) household of my own. There is a massive cat 4 bearing down on us. I think back to Mom, her yellow dishwashing gloves and bucket. I scoff. And break open the vino. Because what do sane adults do when there's a hurricane a comin'? That's right. Party.

So this f*cker totally kicks our asses. There's no power (so no water). It's humid and hot as balls. There are ants. Everywhere. Billions. There are rotting leaves, rotting grass bits, rotting tree limbs and palm fronds. Everywhere. There's broken glass. Dirt. Sand. Everwhere. And under all of this? One dirty, messy house.
I was miserable. Hot. I stank. We stank (well one of us usually did anyway). Everyone stank.
No water. Bad. No water + dirty dishes, laundry, not so clean bathrooms? Really, really bad.

So yes, even though I'm not going to be here for this one, which may or may not be a comin' at this point, I am going to make damn sure that my house is clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment